> ## Content Index
> Fetch the complete content index at: https://www.urgentmatter.press/llms.txt
> Use this file to discover other available public pages before exploring further.

# Louvre adds bars to window where thieves entered months after museum heist
- URL: https://www.urgentmatter.press/louvre-museum-adds-bars-window-thieves-heist/
- Published: 2025-12-27T18:46:40.000Z
- Updated: 2025-12-27T18:46:40.000Z
- Description: The museum has added new barriers on Quai François Mitterrand and will add 100 new security cameras in 2026.
- Author: Adam Schrader
- Tags: Law and Crime

The Louvre Museum has added bars to the window where a group of thieves entered to steal more than $100 million worth of Napoleonic jewels in one of the most significant heists in modern history.

“The Louvre is learning all the lessons from the theft on October 19 and is continuing to transform and strengthen its security architecture,” the museum said [in a post to social media](https://x.com/MuseeLouvre/status/2003425114570756151?s=20&ref=urgentmatter.press) announcing new security measures.

The group of thieves who stole the jewels [had parked a hoist truck](https://www.urgentmatter.press/louvre-remained-closed-for-second-day-as-details-emerge-in-jewel-heist/) on Quai François Mitterrand, the street running along the south side of the museum next to the Seine, and used it to break into the second-floor window in the Galerie d’Apollon.

The theft happened around 9:30 a.m. local time on a Sunday, after the museum had already opened its doors to the public. The entire theft lasted under eight minutes and the thieves were able to speed away on motorcycles.

The security measures announced by the museum are specifically designed to prevent a repeat of the thieves' tactics.

0:00 

/0:11 

1× 

Workers are seen adding bars to the French windows of the Louvre Museum's Galerie d’Apollon to heighten security after the October 2025 heist. Video posted by the Louvre Museum on X.

Besides the bars outside the Galerie d’Apollon’s French window, the museum has added new barriers on Quai François Mitterrand intended to prevent unauthorized vehicles from parking or deploying specialized equipment close to the museum’s historic walls.

France’s national police have kept a heightened presence in the area since the theft and officials said that, in 2026, the museum would also add 100 new security cameras around its perimeter as part of a recently approved $92 million security master plan that will be implemented in phases.

*Follow along with other art crime stories at Urgent Matter’s* [*art crime tracker*](https://www.urgentmatter.press/suspect-identified-in-sao-paulo-library-heist-involving-matisse-prints/)*.*